Many patients who are seeking a dentist in Houston are looking to fix serious dental problems or replace missing teeth. When it comes to tooth replacement nothing comes close to the natural feel and look, feel and function of your own teeth like dental implants—and there are many reasons why.
- They Are A 1:1 Replacement For Your Missing Teeth – Any Houston dentist will tell you, that the innovation of modern dental implants is one of the most industry-changing inventions in dental history. Dental implants allow a patient to replace damaged teeth without intruding or damaging the remaining healthy teeth. Since the implants are an exact fit to the missing tooth it minimizes any disturbance to the teeth surrounding it and does not change bite or oral functions. Unlike dentures and bridges, there is no abrasion, no gap, and no crowding of the other teeth.
- It’s A Relatively Painless Procedure – Of course, anything with surgery sounds painful, especially when it involves a titanium screw inserted into your jawbone. However, due to modern medicine, we are able to sedate patients as well as numb the implant area with a local anesthetic so you don’t feel a thing. Our rate of success is very high, post-op discomfort is very minimal, and it is a quick recovery. Naturally, each patient will have their own unique experience and the number of implants needed can make the procedure more complex—but generally, it is a very smooth procedure. Most patients that come to CDG for dental implants normally return to work within a day or two with no issues and a simple OTC pain reliever.
- It Improves Your Physical And Emotional Health – When you lose a tooth or have severely damaged teeth, it can take a physical and emotional toll on you. Physically, it can make you change your diet, prevent you from getting nutrients and cause pain when eating anything. Emotionally, it can make you feel insecure, prevent you from being sociable, and make you not want to smile. We tend to take our smile for granted and how much it means to us until it is broken. With dentures, there is the constant tiptoeing around certain foods since dentures can’t handle it as well as worrying about them falling out in a social setting. Dental implants give you the freedom to live your life just as you did before—no limits, no rules, no restrictions. Because dental implants look exactly like natural teeth, you will be able to smile with confidence and nobody will know you have implants but you.
- They Are Incredibly Durable – Even though it is preferable to never have missing teeth, one of the upshots of having dental implants is never having to fret about cavities. Of course, we don’t mean you can slack on your oral hygiene—particles can still get stuck in between implants and cause bacteria that lead to gum disease. You still need to be pro-active with your oral routine. Brush regularly, floss and use mouthwash just as often as you would with natural teeth. Not only does it prevent serious diseases, but it keeps people from avoiding you due to bad breath! That being said, implants are crafted from pure, medical grade titanium so with proper care they should easily last a lifetime.
- Implants Strengthen Your Jaw – When you lose teeth you lose bone strength in your jaw as well because there is no root to stimulate the bone. However, when replacing your teeth with dental implants, it makes a huge difference and actually strengthens your jawbone. The reason for this is the implant actually bonds to the jawbone just like a natural tooth—essentially becoming one with your jawbone. This helps you maintain alignment, facial structure, and bite.
- Implants Protect Remaining Teeth – When you are only missing a couple of teeth or so, often a bridge will be an option. However, when you place a bridge between healthy teeth, the supports of the bridge grind the healthy teeth down over time. So, in a sense, you end up “robbing Peter to pay Paul,” and end up damaging healthy teeth. Since dental implants are implanted and supported by the jawbone like natural teeth, they don’t hurt your remaining teeth, in fact—they keep healthy teeth from shifting, which happens with dental bridges.
Dental Implants Are A Permanent Solution To A Temporary Problem
We’ve gone over the benefits of dental implants to really drive home the point that dental implants are one of the best restorations when a patient has missing teeth. Implants can be used in conjunction with dentures, crowns, and dental bridges in Houston. These restorations will be supported by dental implants for several years and potentially a lifetime if they are taken care of properly.
If patients take care of their overall and oral health, as well as their implants, then dental implants can last for a lifetime. Dentists will give patients a list of instructions following the implant procedure and how to care for their implants in the following years.
So just to recap— to ensure that the dental implant procedure is successful and that dental implants last for several decades—patients should keep their teeth and gums in great health. If a patient’s overall health and oral health are positive, then the implant fusion to the jawbone should last for a lifetime. Patients should maintain their oral care routine and follow a healthy diet to ensure their dental implants will stay strong.
Don’t Risk Your Smile To Just Any Dentist
Dental implants surgery is a complex procedure that while relatively painless and with little to no downtime—should absolutely be performed by an implant specialist with a seasoned track record of successful procedures.
At CDG, you get the best of the best with Dr. Hanna who has performed multitudes of dental implant procedures including the All-On-4® full-mouth reconstruction process. Contact us today to schedule a free consultation and put your smile in good hands!